Software Engineer, Cryptography
Posted on Tuesday, May 3, 2022
Espresso Systems is the lead developer of the Espresso Sequencer, which supports rollups with decentralization, scale, and interoperability.
The Espresso Sequencer supports the decentralization of layer-2 (L2) rollups in the Ethereum ecosystem and beyond. It handles the decentralized sequencing and data availability of rollup transactions, functioning as a middleware between underlying layer-1 (L1) platforms and any zkVM or optimistic VM.
Contributors to Espresso comprise a diverse team located around the world. We are passionate about building a better infrastructure for how we transact and interact online. We are builders, designers, researchers, and hackers and have contributed in academia, in open source communities, in policymaking, and beyond. We are backed by over $30mm in funding from leading investors in technology and crypto including Greylock Partners, Electric Capital, Sequoia Capital, and Polychain Capital.
As a cryptography software engineer, you will closely collaborate with fellow engineers and researchers to build cryptographic tools and libraries to bring Espresso's scalability infrastructure to the Ethereum ecosystem. Examples of work include implementing the verifiable information dispersal (VID) scheme, a crucial primitive for supporting a more scalable and decentralized data availability service layer; and implementing cryptographic circuits for verifying the Espresso Sequencer’s state efficiently on smart contracts. Along the road, you will also help maintain Jellyfish, a top open-source implementation of various advanced crypto primitives.
- Implement, test, and deploy/integrate cryptographic protocols and libraries to Espresso Sequencer products
- Work with external auditors to evaluate security and safety of implementations
- Take engineering projects from concept and design to production, while working with engineering leaders and the product team to create sound and realistic roadmaps
- Deep understanding of applied cryptography
- 3+ years of professional software engineering experience or equivalent cryptography development experience
- Understanding of software engineering and security best practices, in particular security of cryptographic implementations
- Experience shipping and taking engineering projects to production
- PhD in Computer Science with focus on cryptography
- Professional experience with Rust and Solidity
- Experience working on blockchain infrastructure, e.g. a layer-1 blockchain
- Enthusiasm for the rapidly developing blockchain ecosystem
- Fully remote with flexible hours
- Work alongside the brightest minds in the crypto space
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Regular team off-sites to international locations
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Top-tier health, dental, and vision coverage for US employees