Head of Corporate Compliance
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2023
Building the Internet of Money
Our Krakenites are a world-class team with crypto conviction, united by our desire to discover and unlock the potential of crypto and blockchain technology.
What makes us different? Kraken is a mission-focused company rooted in crypto values. As a Krakenite, you’ll join us on our mission to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. For over a decade, Kraken’s focus on our mission and crypto ethos has attracted many of the most talented crypto experts in the world.
Before you apply, please read the Kraken Culture Explained to learn more about our internal culture, values, and mission.
As a fully remote company, we have Krakenites in 60+ countries who speak over 50 languages. Krakenites are industry pioneers who have a long track record of building premium products for professionals and institutions as well as newcomers to the space. Kraken is committed to industry-leading security through our products like Kraken Pro, Kraken NFT, and Cryptowatch, with a focus on world-class customer support and crypto education for all.
Become a Krakenite and build the internet of money!
About the Role
You will provide executive level leadership to help Kraken strategically manage its Compliance Department with oversight over governance, risk management, products, strategic initiatives and business expansion, including with respect to helping to obtain and maintain required regulatory licenses. You will navigate complex global challenges in a highly fluid regulatory environment. You will act as a thought leader across the entire organization to identify opportunities to support and deliver on corporate objectives. You will report into the Chief Compliance Officer. You will support running Compliance as a data driven machine that automates operational processes to advance crypto adoption while enhancing our customers’ experience.
- Support Compliance Officers, business and product heads globally by providing expert advice, guidance, and resources wherever possible to ensure delivery and execution of strategic priorities
- Product, design and engineering: provide strategic advice and help to build controls to support the firm’s go to market strategies and adjust product features and controls as needed
- Risk management: oversee and manage Compliance Risk Management Program, eg: risk assessments, Independent AML analyses, Risk appetite framework
- Governance: Develop/enhance governance practices across Compliance (eg Executive and Risk Committees, Compliance lead on functional governance). Lead core documentation on compliance efforts, and ensure proper record-keeping associated with each program
- Reporting: maintain ongoing reporting to ensure consistent Board level and management oversight of Compliance risk management programs including key performance and risk indicators
- Vendors: Review vendors and provide oversight in regards to the tools utilized by Corporate Compliance
- Policies and procedures: oversee Compliance’s library and implement systematic review
- Knowledge management: maintain robust framework to enable Krakenites to access key regulatory, organization and governance information
- Exam and audit management: enhance program to ensure consistency in communication with all stakeholders globally, including external third parties, consistent delivery of responsive documentation, and tracking/reporting of identified findings and remediation efforts
- Exchange asset listing framework: provide executive support to list and re-review assets
- Corporate Operating Model: provide strategic direction on developing the firm as well as compliance operating model and provide ongoing maintenance
- Compliance Testing: oversee the compliance testing program design, development and implementation. Provide ongoing reporting on the program and support remediation efforts.
- Mergers & Acquisitions: Provide management and oversight for Compliance due diligence and implementation of new acquisitions.
- Licensing and registration: provide oversight and support to obtain and maintain consistent with regulatory requirements
- Marketing: oversee marketing compliance framework and provide reporting on implementation effectiveness and issues
- Technology: partner with product, data and engineering teams to review our services, products, controls to make sure they are in line with regulatory expectations
- Markets compliance: ensure robust product support is provided from a compliance standpoint to comply with regulatory requirements, including the appropriate reporting obligations
- Training: oversee the firm’s Compliance training program including tracking and reporting
- Proactive, strategic, comfortable with navigating ambiguity, bias for action
- Demonstrated success in scaling operational processes leveraging technology
- Fluency in English required, additional languages a plus
- Executive presence and compliance team leadership
- Prior experience as a Chief Compliance Officer, BSA Officer, MLRO, or similar role with direct reporting lines to the Board of Directors preferred
- Significant European regulatory experience is a strong plus including in relation to MiCAR and virtual asset service provider licensing/registrations
- Strategic financial crimes and markets compliance experience is important
- J.D., L.L.M., M.B.A. or other advanced degree is preferred
- Professional industry certifications such as Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS), a plus
- Significant experience in a previous regulatory or compliance managerial position at a crypto, banking, trading, payments, or fintech institution, hyper-growth fintech a plus
- Experience managing KYC and AML compliance programs in a regulated financial services firm is a plus
- Skilled in collaborating with stakeholders at all levels across technical and non-technical groups
- Executive level presentation abilities, both verbally and using various media
- Ability to lead in a growing company environment with focused and hardworking individuals
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience and/or passion for crypto preferred
Kraken is powered by people from around the world and we celebrate all Krakenites for their diverse talents, backgrounds, contributions and unique perspectives. We hire strictly based on merit, meaning we seek out the candidates with the right abilities, knowledge, and skills considered the most suitable for the job. We encourage you to apply for roles where you don't fully meet the listed requirements, especially if you're passionate or knowledgable about crypto!
As an equal opportunity employer, we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws.
Stay in the know
See more open positions at Kraken
Something looks off?